Thursday, June 13, 2013

Chocolate Nutella Cake

I watched an episode of Pioneer Woman the other morning, and my little one asked me to make this cake for dessert.  I didn't have time to make it from scratch, so I compromised and used a boxed cake mix instead.


When I bake, if I use a box cake mix instead of making a recipe from scratch, I tend to substitute ingredients.  So my recipe doesn't follow the directions on the box, but feel free to use the box instructions if you would prefer.  My substitutions will give the cake more calories, but is so delicious!  

Recipe:
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 cup melted butter
1 cup of milk
3 eggs
Nutella (about 1/2 cup divided for 2 cakes)
Strawberries sliced
Whipped Cream

Mix cake mix, butter, milk and eggs together.  Divide into 2 round cake pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.  Let the cakes cool completely.

Remove cake from pan and spread the nutella on the first layer of cake.  Place the second layer of cake on top of the first.  Spread remaining nutella on the top of the cake - and down the sides if you want to use more nutella......I only frosted the top.  Place the sliced strawberries on top for decoration (and to get some fruit in your day!)

Serve with whipped cream.

I realized after I made this that I ended up using too much milk (oops).....which is why I think it was a bit short.....but it was still yummy.  I'm sure my nutella loving girls will want this cake again!





No comments:

Post a Comment