Monday, June 10, 2013

Second Run Down

My last post recapped that I finally ran my first mile.  I know that doesn't seem like a monumental feat to most people, but I haven't been able to do it.  I hate running.  Honestly, I'm not sure that I will really ever enjoy it - but I'm trying.  I decided that if I'm going to give this a try though, that I need to have some sort of goal.  I stepped out of my comfort zone and agreed to run a 5k with my friends.  I've never run a 5k.  I know it isn't a "far" run.....but for someone who doesn't even like running - it is a huge step.  I would like to be able to run the entire 5k, so I'm not super embarrassed running with my friends.  Which means, it is time to kick it into gear!  The event is at the end of Sept so I have some time to "train" but I want to be ready to go by that date.  I'm also trying to decide if I should run in one event before this one (without friends on my own).  I'm undecided as of today, but this is my first official 5k event:
Run Maple Grove

So, I ran my very first mile (without stopping to walk) on Thursday last week.  I was so proud of myself, but what next?  Well, now I would like to get to a point where I can run the entire 3 miles without stopping to walk.  Baby Steps.  I made the mistake of trying to run again on Friday morning at the gym on the treadmill.  It was probably too soon for me to try that since I had just run the evening before.  I didn't make it for the 1 mile without walking a little.  I ended up walking/running 2 miles instead.  I mix up my walking/running on the treadmill with speed and incline, just so I don't get bored.  I did manage to get out again on Saturday morning, and I ran 1-mile straight again, and I ran it just a little bit faster than Thursday :)  12:02 vs. 13:35 on Thursday.  Baby steps!!!! Once I made that first mile on Saturday morning - I did end up walking more than running for mile 2.  But, then I tried to run most of mile 3 home.  I was just so happy that I managed to run the first mile again!!!!  Twice now - Success!!





No comments:

Post a Comment