Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Slow Carb, Low Carb or No Carbs?

I'm going to jump back on the "low-carb" bandwagon.  In the past years, I've done both Atkins and South Beach diets in the past and I always been able to drop a significant number of pounds.  This time around, I'm going with something called the "slow-carb diet".  This is very similar to both Atkins & South Beach because you eliminate most "white" carbs.
Here are the 5 rules:
  1. Avoid "White" Carbohydrates
    • All breads, rice (both white & brown), cereal, potatoes, pasta, tortillas and all breaded fried foods
  2. Eat the same basic meals over and over again
    • I'm not 100% sure I can do this.....but with most diets, when I find something I like to eat, I generally keeping eating that until I'm sick of it
    • Lean Proteins, Beans and veggies should make up almost every meal
  3. Don't drink your calories
    • No Milk!  But coffee and red wine are both ok (whew!)
  4. Don't eat fruit (this will be tough!)
  5. Take 1 day off per week
    • This may be the best rule of all --- have a cheat day!
I'm on Day #2, and yesterday I did alright.  I went to the grocery store in the morning after the gym and I loaded up on fresh veggies, meat and beans.  When I got home I made mini-egg quiches (I slightly modified South Beach Recipe) for breakfast this week and chili with turkey & beans in the crockpot for dinner & lunches.  My husband and girls don't really like beans, so I'm guessing this chili will be all for me!!    

Veggie Quiche Cups
Ingredients:
  • 3/4 Cup Egg Substitute
  • 1/4 Cup Green Pepper - Diced
  • 1/4 Cup Onion - Diced
  • 1 Pkg-10 oz Frozen Chopped Spinach
  • 3 Tbsp. Salsa
  • 1/4 Cup Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350F degrees.  Line a muffin pan with 12 foil cupcake/muffin liners. 
  • Place frozen spinach in the microwave and thaw - drain all excess liquid.
  • Mix egg substitute, green pepper, onion, spinach and salsa together in a bowl.
  • Fill the foil cups evenly between the 12 liners and top each with a little cheese.
  • Bake at 350F degrees for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
*Makes 6 servings (2 per serving).


No comments:

Post a Comment