Friday, August 30, 2013

Happy Enough

Do you ever stop to think about what you want your relationship to be like when you are retired?   I saw the cutest couple the other morning walking together; in the middle of the early morning chaos of downtown Minneapolis.  There were people all around them racing past then on their way into work or racing to get to a meeting or maybe even just on their way to get coffee.  While I stood there watching them; they seemed oblivious to it all.  There they were in their own little world slowly walking hand-in-hand together.  They were adorable.  

All of my grandparents passed away when I was younger; the last not long after I met my husband.  She didn't live long enough to see me get married.  But, my husband is fortunate enough to have 3 of his grandparents still living.  His mom's parents are in their mid-80's; they spend most of the year living in Florida and they are very active and young at heart.  They still golf together a few times a week, they have a weekly coffee date, they go out or meet friends for dinners, and they ALWAYS have 5pm cocktail hour (one of my favorites!!!).  They have the type of relationship I aspire to have in retirement with my husband.

We were recently with them for a family weekend event.  My sister-in-law and I were talking with their grandpa.  I told him that I really admired his marriage and relationship; and that he and his wife are my role models for a successful marriage.  My sister-in-law told him the exact same thing.  She has recently just broken up with her boyfriend of 2+ years, because she compared her relationship to her grandparent's marriage/relationship and realized she didn't think she had the same thing with him.  She said she thought about it and decided that she could be "just happy enough" with her boyfriend - or keep looking for someone who made her completely happy all of the time.

I'm not sure that their is any relationship where you are non-stop happy; I mean relationships take effort and work.  But, I agree with not settling for just "happy enough".  I know that my relationship with my hubby is so much more than "happy enough" and we work hard at our marriage.  I absolutely know that I will spend the rest of my life with him.  I see us growing old together and having the type of relationship that his grandparent's have - and to be just like that older couple was I saw walking hand-in-hand together just enjoying spending time with each other; being so more more than "happy enough".


Grandparents with my kiddos

3 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet post!! I only have one grandma- and never met either of my grandpas. But even just watching my parents- who have been married for 35 years...they are such good models for a happy marriage. They don't always like each other...but they always love each other and support what the other wants in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is the sweetest thing when I see an older coupl! holding hands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Both my parents and my husband's parents are divorced (some more than once) which made us both more aware of really working on our own marriage. We try really hard to make time for just us alone too (which is something I think is even more important when you have kids!!!) It is awesome that your parents have been married for 35 years! We just went to my husband's aunt & uncle's 50th wedding anniversary! I really admire those relationships!

    ReplyDelete