Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Skinny Cupcakes

Slow Carb - Cheat Day.  HMMMMM, what to eat on my cheat day.  I can eat pretty much anything on that day - but since I don't eat dessert (aside from sugar-free jell-o) any of the other 6 days --- I wanted to make a dessert.  I'm still trying to eat pretty well; even on my cheat days.....so I began a search on pinterest to find some skinny versions of treats and desserts.

Enter Skinny Cupcakes.  I stumbled across this recipe for Skinny Cookies n' Cream Cupcakes and decided to use it as my starting point.  My recipe was modified slightly.


Skinny Cupcakes:
(makes 12 regular and 24 mini-cupcakes 
OR 24 regular cupcakes )

Ingredients:
1 pkg. Triple Chocolate fudge cake mix (or any kind of chocolate cake mix
1 (12 ounce) can Diet Coke
1 (8 ounce) container Lite Cool Whip
1 Small pkg. Instant Pudding and Pie Filling (like Jell-O, any flavor you want)
1/4 cup of milk (I used skim)

Cupcake Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a cupcake tins with paper liners.  (I used a 12-count cupcake tin and a 24-count mini cupcake tin).  In a large bowl whisk out the lumps of the cake mix (ONLY).  Slowly pour in the Diet Coke and mix together while adding the Diet Coke to the mix.  Continue to mix until the batter is smooth without any lumps.  

Using a small ice cream scoop (I use a small pampered chef small scoop) and fill the cupcake wrapper up about 1/4 of the way.  I used 2-3 scoops for the 12-count tin and just 1 scoop for the 24 mini cups.

Bake at 350 degrees for 19-20 minutes.  Let cool completely before frosting. 
 
Frosting Directions:
Add pudding to a mixing bowl and add in 1/4 cup of milk.  Stir together until well mixed.  Add in about 1/2 of the container of Cool Whip and mix together until combined well.  Spread over cooled cupcakes.  

I added a few mini-chocolate chips and some other sprinkles to the tops of the cupcakes for my girls.

Notes:
  • 96 calories per large cupcake/48 calories per mini-cupcake
  • I used room-temperature diet coke 
  • I stored these in the refrigerator once frosted - since I used milk & Cool Whip for the frosting 

No comments:

Post a Comment