Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Something New ---- Rev Your Metabolism

I mentioned yesterday that after reading about the Fast Metabolism diet on Wendy's blog - that I was intrigued.  I am the typical yo-yo dieter.  I've tried all different diets in my life:  Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach, Slimfast and other protein shake programs.  I have always had initial success with the programs but the problem is that I don't think any of them were enough to push me to a lifestyle change.  The one exception maybe could be Weight Watchers; although the last time I was on that program I was eating my "points" and exercising like crazy and NOT losing any weight.

This yo-yo dieting started pretty early with me.  When I was in high school, my sister and I both joined Weight Watchers for the first time.  I have re-joined 3 times since that point, with little success.  As I look back to the first time I joined, I don't really know why my mother let us do it.  Neither of us was really overweight.  We were pretty average.  I am 5-3" and my sister is 5-5" and we both weighed between 110-120 pounds.  I think we both wore size 3 or 5 clothes.  We were both in sports and pretty active.  We were not huge girls, we were not overweight.  But, we were "bigger" than most of our friends.........so we thought we needed to go on diets.  What we were:  We were BOTH terrible about eating.  We would stop at the gas station on the way to school to grab a Diet Coke and a candy bar for breakfast - and then lunch would be another can of Diet Coke with maybe a small salad or an apple if we were eating that day.  I honestly wonder how I made it through the day?!?!?!  We would get home from school and eat a sandwich (because we were at home, where nobody would actually see us eating....insane??? Yes).  Then, we would eat dinner with our family - and then go off to some school activity in the evenings.  I remember that I would hope that my stomach would be growling when I went to bed, because I thought I would lose weight then.  Stupid!  Joining Weight Watchers at that time probably taught us the most about HOW to eat.  We started eating breakfast, having a super small salad for lunch (again, people would see us eating - AHHH).  And then dinner and small snacks during the day.   We were finally fueling our bodies.  About time.

Flash forward to college --- I didn't have a car at school, so I walked everywhere.  I had learned that I needed to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner - and I was doing that and walking.  I actually lost 15lbs my freshman year of college, when most people gain weight, I lost it (even with the drinking).  It was probably the smallest in my life I ever was.  I was eating, walking and actually felt pretty healthy.  I moved back home my 2nd year of college and stopped walking all over the place.  I joined the gym instead and I was able to keep most of that weight off.  I slowly gained it back as I stopped working out as much and started going out to eat and drinking more once I turned 21.

As I got older, I tried more diets - I did Atkins & South Beach before I got married. I had a lot of success with both of them..........but every time I moved to the "maintenance" phase I would gain the weight back.  Once I stared eating the foods like fruits and breads, the weight would slowly creep back on.

About 2 years ago, I started using Isagenix products - and I dropped 20lbs with those products.  I really do still like the products, but I missed EATING FOOD.  The Isagenix program is 2 shakes each day with 2 small snacks and 1 meal.  I just got burnt out on protein shakes ---- and honestly when the temperature is -25 degrees outside, the LAST think I want to do is have a freezing cold protein shake.  So again, all of the work to drop the 20lbs was gone.....and the weight crept right back on.

Enter this:

I read this book in basically one night (although, I continue to keep going back to re-read parts).  This book really spoke to me.  I think I have killed my metabolism.  I typically eat between 1200-1400 calories a day and I can't drop a pound to save my life.  This program is simple and the best part ---- I get to eat food again.  Not only that, but aside from not having my beloved CHEESE I can eat just about anything else (ok, no sugar either....but let's be real, I am still trying to drop some LB's).  I love that you get to eat fruit and grains.  And, you shake up your meals/food every 2-3 days, so if one of the phases isn't your favorite, at least it's only 2 days - and then on to something else.

This program changes your food around and gets your body to kick-start your metabolism again.  I feel like THIS is truly more of a lifestyle change that I can live with, it isn't as restrictive as a Low-Carb only diet and I was really excited to try it.  I started this last week and I lost 5 pounds the first week.  I've really enjoyed it so far.  I'm into week 2 and it is even easier than week 1 now that I know what to eat, and how to best plan my meals ahead.  If you are struggling with your weight loss - or you are at a plateau, I highly recommend giving this a read!

Phase 1:  CARBS!!!
Phase 2:  PROTEIN
Phase 3:  HEALTHY FATS!


post signature

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Five pounds is a great loss!!!!!! I'm trying to break one small mini-goal before I share an update on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing this! I somehow missed Wendy's post on this, but it's really exciting to hear how it's working for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book sounds really interesting- definitely going to check it out! I recently started a "Shaping Up For Summer" link-up, which will run every Saturday through May, and I would LOVE it if you wanted to link up your fitness posts. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just hopped over to your blog and had to say Happy BLOGIVERSARY!!! You made it a year! Whoo hooo... can't wait to hop around more and hope you guys are starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel up there in Minn. Lord knows I'm DYING for a 40 degree here in Ohio! :)

    ReplyDelete