Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Chicken & Veggie Soup

I've talked about the fact that I'm following the Fast Metabolism Diet before, and as part of that plan you switch up your foods every few days.  The first 2 days are carb-heavy days.......NOT white carbs, but fruits and whole grains.  As someone who spent a bit of her life NOT eating many carbs - and not much fruit because of my low-carb phase - I love these days.  You get to have fruit with breakfast, 2 snacks and lunch and it is sweet, yummy and delicious!

The next 2 days (Phase 2) are the LOW-CARB/HI PROTEIN days.  I've done both Atkins and South Beach before, so I don't really have a huge issue with these days.  One thing I do miss from those other programs is having cheese (no dairy in this plan) but, I also know that it can get a little boring just eating chicken and broccoli for every meal.  I decided to switch things up a bit and I threw a bunch of green veggies and chicken together in the crockpot for a delicious Phase 2 soup.


Crock Pot Chicken & Veggie Soup

Ingredients

  • 3 Chicken Breasts
  • 1/2 Medium Onion, diced
  • 1 Red Pepper, diced
  • 1 package of baby spinach
  • 1 head of broccoli
  • 4-6 Cups Chicken Broth
  • 1 tsp Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb seasoning
  • Salt & pepper to taste


Directions:
  • Place the onions, pepper, spinach, broccoli and chicken in a crockpot.
  • Add chicken broth to fully cover all of the ingredients
  • Cook in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours
  • Take the chicken out of the crockpot and shred, return to the soup.
Enjoy!!

There could be any variation of Phase-2 green veggies added to this soup.  If you like your soup a little spicier you could add additional seasonings as well.  This soup makes approximately 4 servings (about 1 1/2 cups each) and it freezes really well.


post signature

2 comments:

  1. YUM! Thanks for the recipe. I too am following the metbolism reset diet and am always looking for more ideas for the protein days!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you like it! I just needed a change up on those 2 Protein days and thought this was a great replacement meal!

      Delete